3.11.2010

One Week Post-Op

It has been a week since Ben's surgery, and it is simply amazing how fast he recovered! He is 100% back to himself. He is on his normal schedule, and is such a happy little guy. You would never know that he had his skull cut open just a week ago. We could not be any happier with the decision we made to go with the less invasive procedure.

Ben has not needed any pain medicine since we have been home, and he just finished up his antibiotic. All we have to do is shampoo his head every day for three weeks to keep his incisions clean. His stitches are all disolveable. It is amazing how easy the upkeep has been.

I think the past week has been much harder on J.P. and I than it has on Ben. We were both exhausted from our time in Dallas, and there is no time to be tired with 2 toddlers around! We are slowly recovering, and Ben has been so kind to let us sleep all night.

One of the hardest things has been protecting Ben's precious little head. Ben has a huge soft-spot on top of his head, and two crazy brothers running around. I can't lay him on his play mat or in his bouncy chair if they are awake, which makes it pretty hard to get things done around the house. I never thought I would say this, but it will be kind of nice once he has his helmet!

I am going to Dallas with my mom and all three boys next week. We are making a little trip out of going to get Ben's helmet. I think Jack and Luke will probably want to get helmets too! Since I will be doing lots of flying back and forth, it will be nice to have a fun trip in there too.

I honestly can't thank everyone enough for all of the prayers, support, and kind gestures! The meals have been especially helpful in this last week. Thank you to all of the wonderful Marquette parents who make goody bags for Jack and Luke, and who setup a 742-DINE account for us. We are so blessed to be surrounded by such wonderful, thoughtful people!

I wanted to include a few post-op pics of Ben's head. The shape has already changed a little bit, but the real difference will be seen after helmet therapy.

1 comment:

  1. That IS amazing how well he's doing. He looks awesome!! This definitely makes me feel better about the route we are going. Thanks

    ReplyDelete